Tools to Help Prevent Medication Errors
Medication errors are usually communication errors. Whether written or spoken, the key to prevention is to check, double-check, then check again.
- Look up every drug prescribed. Speak up if:
• You or your loved one has questions
• Your loved one has any allergies to the medication
• You have any concerns whatsoever about possible interactions with other medications your loved one is taking
- In your Care Journal, record every medication name, the prescribed dose and prescribed form (liquid, pill, IV, etc.).
• Take notes about the potential side effects you learn by looking up the drug. Speak up if you note these or any other reactions to the drug.
- Use the Medication Record form to keep track of every medication given to your patient.
• Speak up about any concerns, especially regarding the wrong medication, wrong dose, wrong time, wrong site (e.g. by mouth instead of through the IV).